Great British Choral Works
Since they were founded in 1979 Harry Christophers and The Sixteen have recorded over 100 discs of choral music spanning 600 years. On this new collection, CORO presents a selection of their most celebrated recordings of music by British composers.
From Tallis’s monumental Spem in Alium and Sheppard’s Media Vita in morte sumus to the delights of Purcell’s The Fairy Queenand MacMillan’s powerfully emotive A Child’s Prayer written in memory of the Dunblane tragedy, this disc provides a superb collection of works from some of Britain’s most eminent composers.
Stellar soloists including Michael Chance, Michael George and Mark Padmore all feature and there are works from The Sixteen’s Award-winning Handel recordings—Messiah and Coronation Anthems.
Sixteen tracks, eleven composers, and a feast of British choral music that will delight fans of The Sixteen as well as those new to the ensemble.
1. Coronation Anthem: My heart is inditing
2. Laudibus in sanctis
3. A Child’s Prayer
4. Spem in alium
5. Today the Virgin
6. Ave Maria Mater Dei
7. Benedictus (from Missa Dum sacrum mysterium)
8. One charming night (from The Fairy Queen)
9. Hush, no more (from The Fairy Queen)
10. Tune your harps to cheerful strains (from Esther)
11. Hymn to St Cecilia
Sir Michael Tippett:
12. Nobody Knows
13. Media vita in morte sumus (Excerpt)
14. A new song
15. Worthy is the Lamb (from Messiah)
16. Amen (from Messiah)
TOTAL PLAYING TIME: 77.57