Album DescriptionThe second in The Sixteen’s series of Polish music, conducted by Associate Conductor Eamonn Dougan, explores works by three of the Italian maestri who flourished at the court of King Sigismund III during the late 16th and early 17th centuries: Vincenzo Bertolusi, Giovanni Francesco Anerio and Asprilio Pacelli.
The music is all connected to the Virgin Mary with many of the texts taken from the Song of Songs, the Old Testament’s collection of love poetry which has long been applied metaphorically to the Virgin Mary.
The arrival of the Italian maestri heralded a new dawn for sacred music in Poland.
Asprilio Pacelli (1570-1623)
1. Veni Sponsa Christi
Giovanni Francesco Anerio (c.1567-1630)
2. Salve Regina
3. Beata es Virgo Maria
Vincenzo Bertolusi (c.1550-1608)
4. Regina caeli
5. Litania deiparae Virginis
6. Kyrie (from Missa Pulchra es)
7. Gloria (from Missa Pulchra es)
8. Osculetor me osculo
9. Credo (from Missa Pulchra es)
10. Ego flos campi
11. Sanctus (from Missa Pulchra es)
12. Benedictus (from Missa Pulchra es)
13. Angus Dei (from Missa Pulchra es)
14. Dum esset rex
TOTAL PLAYING TIME: 1hr 2min